[RSS GWG] Agenda for Teleconference #13

Peter Janssen Peter.Janssen at eurid.eu
Wed Aug 19 14:08:51 UTC 2020

Hello,

first I want to apologise for not attending the call of August 6th.
We experienced a power outage taking out power for the whole street (something
to do with solar panels generating lot's of power and feeding it into the grid
and the grid not having enough possibility to cool down and so, the power
distribution cables in the ground literally fused/melted together.  By the way,
the way these guys "measure" where exactly the short is in the ground is quite an interesting
thing on itself.  They marked a red cross on the curb and started digging there and
sure enough, sometime later, a huge burn smell revealed a molten clump of copperwire,
but I digress).

Secondly, I need to inform you that I won't be attending tomorrow's call either.
I am in my holiday period and after having already quite some work today, spending another
hour, during the middle of the night, would meet with "some resistance" on the home front.

And lastly, I would like to take the opportunity to raise some questions I have.
Since the beginning of this working group I have spent time listening to all of you
and reading the available documents in order to come to grips with the subject at hand.
It has mostly proven to me that I am way out of my comfort zone, which is the reason I
have not to actively participated in discussions as I am still mostly trying to understand
the challenges that need addressing.

In order to see if we "are done", I tend to picture some scenario or other in my mind,
and see if I can answer all the questions being raised, as this is what the community
could and would come up with eventually as well.

Picture the following scenario: a company/organisation/entity/... feels they (or the world
or whomever) would benefit from the fact they would be running a root server instance.
This simple scenario already raises a significant number of questions :
1. where do they go to request to run a root server instance?
2. what are the requirements?  legally? Geographically? technically? ...
3. what are the financial implications?

This was alreaedy at least partly discussed in the workgroup, that at least some
of these things would be the "action points" for the new organisation, which is
fair enough I guess.
However, wouldn't we need to define at least some of the "points" that need done
and at least to a certain degree of detail?
For instance, the "ideal" number of root instances?  The minimum number?
The maximum number?
But also, when the maximum number is reached and a new request to run a root
server instance is received, is the answer an automatic no or is there a procedure
to validate the new request (financially, technically, ...) vs the existing
operators?

Other questions that could be raised : if the answer is "no", for whatever reason,
is there an appeal mechanism?  And with whom?

To me, it feels like we should at least define the procedures that need defining.
Or will we suffice with saying : every procedure/policy that needs to be defined,
needs to be defined by the new organisation?

I hope I have made my doubts clear enough for you to understand and it might
well be that there are simple answers to all of these.
In any case I am looking forward to your replies and explenations.

Thank you for your time.

R.
--Pj.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D67643.06808260]<http://www.eurid.eu/>Peter Janssen / Technical Manager