[RSS GWG] Proposed Agenda for Teleconference #9

Kurt Pritz kurt at kjpritz.com
Wed Jun 24 21:56:03 UTC 2020

Hi Everyone:

I listened to the recording of the last meeting again and it has helped to clarify my thoughts a bit. I hope you don’t mind me taking some of your time here.

At the outset, I was for the Supporting Organization structure. As someone pointed out, it fits neatly within the current “ICANN.” I don’t agree that an S.O. would necessarily cause non-value added work. The ASO seems to focus on their IP-Addressing areas without too much ICANN administrivia. We could configure the charter of the new S.O. in whatever way is appropriate to meet the needs of the new organization.

As the discussion continued though, I realized that, whichever function we might try to set up (e.g., finance, removal, measurement) we would have to “shoe-horn” that into the existing supporting organization structure in some way. We don’t want to spend our time doing that. We want to list what needs to be done and set up the most efficient organization form for that.

So I prefer to look at the PRS model as sort of a “white sheet of paper” model. Tripti alluded to this when she talked about “chiseling" as we go along. Therefore I think we ought to avoid making too many (or any) prescriptive choices at this stage because we might find out, as we discuss actually doing the work of PRS, that we have to go back and rethink decisions, or try to shoehorn more processes into an already-built model.

A simple example: is an LLC the right form of organization of the RSS/PRS? The legal form of organization might become clear as we describe all the roles and responsibilities and examine liability, accountability and so on. In the last meeting, it seemed that we were developing opinions without  an appropriate amount of information. Instead of chiseling, sort with a blank sheet.

With that preamble, and having reviewed the draft document for our discussion, we might want to discuss some of these points as part of the next steps in building the model.

1. We might state that the model we are trying to build is modeled after the PTI model in its relationship with ICANN, with its own Board, and for accomplishing its work but not get into too much more detail until the need for certain organization structures become clear.

2. When first presented, I thought the PRS Board was the equivalent, in role, of the SAPF. After listening to the conversation, I see that is not the general opinion. How does the important SAPF oversight role fit in?

3. In its paper, ICANN reserved for itself the Finance and Secretariat functions. Does that fit within this model or does the PRS contemplate different leadership in these roles.

4. I would like to take each of the other roles described in RSSAC037 (e.g., finance, removal / designation, monitoring, secretariat) and make them a box in the PRS “org chart” or indicate in which of the current boxes that function resides.

5. As we build each of the functions or roles in RSSAC 037, the core competency requirements, information flows, and skill set needs of the new organization will become clear. We can see which operations might be combined or be needed to be held separate, Then, I think that would be the point at which we flesh out the details of the new organization. For example, above I mentioned the SAPF. Depending on its configuration, it might be the same as the PRS Board or might necessarily be separated from the Board. We will know when we flesh out the detail of that function in the organization.

6. Lastly, there was a discussion that the RSOs might no longer have an advisory committee to report to the Board - due to the sort of circular conflict that an ICANN “contractor” can also speak directly to ICANN’s boss. That sort of arrangement does not bother me. I think a function as important as this should have a direct communications line to the Board, and the advisory committee would also serve as a check and balance on the ICANN-RSS relationship.

Thank you for reading this.

Best regards,

Kurt