[RSS GWG] Apologies for the late cancellation

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 22:44:15 UTC 2021

Hi folks,

Sorry for the late cancellation today.  There are two items from the
interim period.

1) Duane has updated the GWG's working document, accepting a number of
edits and resolving comments.  He also added some text about RZERC.  He was
not able to make the meeting time, but he should see any further comments
on the list or in the document.

2) I received some suggested edits to the message to the RSOs from Brad,
and I have made some changes to the message text.    The result is below.
I plan to send this out on Sunday unless I hear objections, so please let
the group know as soon as possible if there are new issues.

Thanks,

Ted Hardie

+++++++++++

Dear Colleagues,

I write to ask for your help in a small but important data gathering
exercise.  As you may know, the RSS GWG has been working over the course of
the past year to develop  a set of structures to embody the ideas
originally put forward in RSSAC 037.  (Our charter, meeting agendas,
documents, and minutes are all available  in a public workspace
<https://secure-web.cisco.com/1uaY3HAknA802k9Pli90JCgiZbb5qxo3Ns-s3n4CJ7jwPBOzlS2a-6b8o_HAdWahuqMlKgGTIJisWXFX-30RwKaf-_sInCV3kgK_no0qVE1g18oOLcLlUygdA_t4IUR_l9Wv2Y7hN0P3oTNaFwgiY_qyqAYSiAsFMsSeXFAwFmwP3TipNE4P1cz62TYWC4OH9_ZyHWUtv-KHiM_JbePxY74HFvJn8H9IYKg83St5ZaC-rwk_JX-fJ3PHeruFz_JH-/https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.icann.org%2Fpages%2Fviewpage.action%3FpageId%3D120820189>,
should you need additional context.)

As part of that work, the RSS GWG has discussed how funds might flow from
the new organization to root server operators.  Our understanding is that
not all operators would seek or could accept such funds, and that such
funds that might flow would augment, rather than replace, existing sources
of fundings.  In the model we propose, the new organization would discuss
the needs of the root service with the operators on a confidential basis
and would then provide grants as appropriate.  Some additional details are in
the most recent report to the ICANN Board technical committee
<https://secure-web.cisco.com/1R0ThaGBBK0pHXvZzfyAHDE-OvncCPRCiKmdUg1yYW8zFi_v_v6PYPiWSHTKx6CrHuM9X6X-G5NZAC54CKj7yHhItK9rB9dJIT0WgiI_8_2t0hTaz3wxRZokvVwllBMzyAWNNaL1m5KmZ-qrxuD277WMfrUzCz4Cgsua0BD3cA_YwGKEGpzP-bWqbfve-p74gVV3OHxSLsdj28Vh3P6ufl5oVasIDeeqv1MAWQSgohnEgxplybACl-Rcdhse_F7gJ/https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.icann.org%2Fdisplay%2Fsoacabout%2FResources%3Fpreview%3D%2F120820207%2F155193105%2FRSS%2520GWG_Report%2520to%2520Caucus_January%25202021.pdf>,
but the highlight is that the model is that disbursements are a grant,
rather than a fee for service. The RSOs receiving grants would report on
their spending of the funds, but the new organization would not direct how
those funds are spent other than to ensure that they were spent to further
the root service.

The RSS GWG has tried to avoid tying the hands of the upcoming organization
by setting out target numbers for these grants, preferring to let the new
organization develop financial models once it has been created.
Specifically,  we have presumed that the new organization, once created,
would be engaging in the sorts of confidential conversations with the RSOs
that would allow it to seek and provide the appropriate funding levels, and
that this was not the job of the RSS GWG.

Based on some feedback from early reviewers, though, we have now come to
the conclusion that at least some external review cannot conclude
successfully without at least an indication of the scale of the funding
which might be  required funding. To assure the community that the
financial controls we are envisioning are appropriate, the current
magnitude for support will be needed.

We continue to believe, though, that the RSS-GWG itself is not constituted
to have confidential conversations on this topic.  Our work is necessarily
public, and the constitution of the group was not made with this sort of
discussion in mind.

We have therefore asked XXXXX to serve as an intermediary,  to work with
the RSOs to estimate the general magnitude of support they might require
from the new organization, if and when that additional funding stream
becomes available.   These  estimates would not be commitments to seek (or
to avoid seeking) that amount, and they would not require any disclosure by
you to the intermediary of your business operations.  They are confidential
estimates you provide, with no additional detail being expected.

After the estimates have been collected , XXXXX will aggregate those
estimates into a single number and provide the aggregate to the RSS GWG,
with the understanding that the aggregated number would eventually be
public.  The information passed to the RSS GWG will not provide a breakdown
of the requests, nor even the number of RSOs contributing estimates.
Rather, we will use the magnitude of the aggregate to confirm or adjust the
financial controls in the current proposal.

If you can provide these estimates to XXXXX when XXXXX contacts you, we
would greatly appreciate it.  If you have questions, please do not hesitate
to contact me or the RSS GWG.

best regards,

Ted  Hardie

For the RSS GWG