[Rt4-whois] Interesting example of Privacy and Business

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Tue Mar 13 00:23:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:39:55AM -0700, James M. Bladel wrote:
>    Except we are talking about it, so it didn't really work.  :)

An an other one: Somebody from a German LKA (Law enforcement agency)
contacted me last week with this interesting question:

They had lost an identity of a person in a witness protection program by a
simple WHOIS query (in this case using an IP WHOIS lookup). So they ask, how
can they use "privacy" or "proxy" services which does not point to the
police in order to protect their clients?

It's also important, that they do not want to have a private company out
there, which can correlate those identities with police activities.

Currently they simply ask the ISPs and registrars to put in obviously false
or no information at all into the WHOIS records. They fear, the have to
provide something to "comply" with "new policies of ICANN".

BTW: You are doing a fantastic job there. Thank you!