[RZERC] Draft procedures 2017-08-03

Wessels, Duane dwessels at verisign.com
Thu Aug 3 21:52:02 UTC 2017

Dear RZERC,

Following yesterday's conference call to discuss outstanding issues in the procedures document, I have made edits as promised and agreed.  Please find a redline PDF copy attached.

I will also describe the changes here:

A recently-added paragraph was removed from the Introduction.

Section 2.3.1 now says "and may delegate" rather than "and delegate"

Last paragraph of 2.3.3 was tidied up with respect to "in the first vote".

In section 3.2 (Calling Meetings) I removed the sentence "Meetings to address urgent issues may be called...".  I also removed "Prior to the start of any executive meeting the Committee shall reach consensus on whether or not the meeting shall be recorded and minuted." because I feel this is covered just as well in the next section (3.3).  We didn't talk about this during the call so please let me know if you disagree.

In section 3.2 I added a sentence, based on the proposal from Jim.  It reads:

    In exceptional circumstances, an RZERC regular, executive, or public
    meeting may be called with shorter notice provided there is a legitimate
    reason and unanimous consensus for doing so.  The reason(s) for calling
    a meeting with short notice shall be discussed during the meeting
    itself.

Note in particular I changed "consensus" to "unanimous consensus" and added the second part about discussing the reason for the short notice.  I wanted to say that the reasons would be minuted, but chose this wording instead because an executive meeting might not be minuted.

Lastly also in 3.2 for the requirement of publishing an agenda one week prior, I added:

   ... or as soon as possible for meetings called under exceptional circumstances.

In section 3.3 the second bullet in the list now reads (2nd sentence is new):

    The Committee may, by consensus decision, choose to not publish
    confidential or sensitive topics that were discussed during separate
    executive sessions.  In such circumstances, Support Staff may be asked
    to keep confidential notes regarding the meeting.

In section 5.2 "teleconference" has been changed to "meeting" and the part about inviting people has been removed as redundant.

In section 6.2 the 4th bullet has been removed from the list of questions for the disclosure of interest.

Also in 6.2, this sentence has been added:

    The Chair and Support Staff shall work diligently to acquire disclosure
    of interest statements from all Committee members.

Please send any feedback sooner rather than later so that we might be able to approve the procedures document at our next meeting.

DW