[RZERC] Possible scenarios to take up or turn down

Howard Eland heland at afilias.info
Tue Aug 22 15:27:19 UTC 2017

> On Aug 22, 2017, at 9:44 AM, Howard Eland <heland at afilias.info> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 21, 2017, at 4:39 PM, Kim Davies <kim.davies at iana.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Quoting Jim Reid and others on Monday August 21, 2017:

>> What do we envisage RZERC's role is in this scenario?
>
> Perhaps a review of any new potential operator’s history as it pertains to DNS operations?  Impact study of how the new operator’s network coverage could potentially change query paths?

>> Assuming this KSK roll concludes in a normal fashion, it seems to me
>> performing a key rollover will become perfunctory (i.e. rolling every x
>> years). I don't see a KSK roll being elevated to this group unless
>> it meets the other criteria above (i.e. new algorithm, possibly new
>> size.)
>
> What about emergency KSK rolls?  I’m not saying we bless a roll before it occurs, but should we look at the procedures for this type of activity to ensure they are in line with keeping the stability of the root zone?

>> A couple of other scenarios I had in mind that don't reflect architectural
>> changes to the root zone content itself:
>>
>> - Support for additional algorithms and digest types for delegations.
>
> I believe I mentioned this above for the root zone, but yes, the same could be said for delegations.
>
>> - Upgrades to the software used to manage the root zone and root zone workflow
>> (except as it pertains to other characteristics deemed to be in-scope)
>
> Not sure I want to do work every time there’s a patch to an operator’s software.  Would that also include network gear upgrades?  This seems intractable to me.

Please ignore my nonsense immediately above.  I mis-read Kim’s list as the “yes” list, not the “no” list.  Apologies to all of the confusion (and thanks to Peter for quietly pointing out my error!).  I agree this is out of scope.

>> - Revisions to the technical check criteria for the root zone.
>
> +1

As part of my misread - I actually think we should be looking at this.

>> - Revisions to the authentication mechanisms for TLD managers.
>
> Not sure exactly what you mean on this last one.

Since I’m not sure what this is, I can’t say one way or the other here.