[RZERC] Preparation for the 23 January 2017 Teleconference

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat Jan 21 00:13:55 UTC 2017

> On 20 Jan 2017, at 21:59, Wessels, Duane <dwessels at verisign.com> wrote:
>
> Both your agenda and chair duties documents look good to me.

The agenda for Monday’s call is fine.

I have made a few additions to the Chair duties document though. The "engage the community” rings alarm bells here. Though it might just be a matter of clarifying what’s meant here.

It seems to me RZERC shouldn’t go out looking for things to occupy itself or interfere in what other parts of the ICANN machine are doing. [Of course it’ll be a different story if we’re asked to consider strategic changes to the root and need to interact with (say) the RSOs or RSSAC.] If engagement means showing up at an ICANN meeting every now and then to remind people that RZERC exists and explain what the committee has done since the last time the Chair turned up to do that, that’s fine for me. If engagement means something else, I think we need to define what that something else should be. I’m sceptical there’s a need for a something else and would like to hear what the other committee members think about that.