[RZERC] Advance copy: Nameservers for the .ARPA domain

Kim Davies kim.davies at iana.org
Thu Feb 6 22:45:22 UTC 2020

Colleagues,

We have been in discussion with the IETF leadership for some time concerning untethering the .ARPA zone from the root servers. The .ARPA zone is administered by IANA as part of the MOU ICANN has with the IETF.  While .ARPA operations is not necessarily related to the root zone, by having shared nameservers and infrastructure it has caused undesirable interdependencies that we are seeking to eliminate.

We’ve developed some text together regarding a proposed approach, and I expect this (or something close to it) to be posted as an -00 Internet Draft shortly, with a goal of getting community feedback on the concept. I wanted to share it with you early as it is obviously an area of interest.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

kim

Kim Davies
VP, IANA Services, ICANN
President, Public Technical Identifiers (PTI)