[social-media-wg] Membership in Social Media WG

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu May 11 18:09:00 UTC 2017

On 11 May 2017 at 12:53, Glenn McKnight <mcknight.glenn at gmail.com> wrote:

> We need to address these issues before we disappear completely

​Perhaps disappearing is not a bad idea.

Volunteers are spread thin and have to prioritize their energy, and in the
end this effort may simply not have been compelling enough to merit its own
committee.​

At one point I got tired of inaction and started a Facebook group designed
to enable At-Large members to discuss the ICANN-relevant issues of the day.
It wasn't promoted because it wasn't "official", few participated and I
eventually closed it down. In retrospect I am not sure if the effort failed
because I didn't follow the standard formalized procedure for doing things
this way.... or if people simply didn't feel the need for such a forum
whether official or otherwise.

So at least in my case the effort didn't die for lack of trying.

The lesson learned? Agonizing about diversity of voices is pointless when
at the end of the day almost nobody has anything substantive to say.

- Evan