[social-media-wg] ICANN61 Greetings and Preparations

John Laprise jlaprise at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 15:46:39 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

We've been running silent for a time but with ICANN 61 approaching shortly,
I want to remind everyone that this is the best time to charge up our SoMe
efforts.  To that end I've a number of things that I'd like everyone (staff
included) to consider and adopt.

1.	I'm @johnlaprise on Twitter. Shout out to each other and follow each
other. On twitter there is strength in numbers (of followers)
2.	Warn your followers with a head's up message that you will be
posting about Internet policy more than usual during ICANN61.
3.	Glance at your account analytics (Twitter)
4.	On FB consider unfollowing all non-people. From personal experience
(this week) it really cleans up my feed and makes it more personal.
5.	#ICANN61 is the hashtag. Use it. I'm personally not a fan of
subordinate hashtags for particular sessions as it clutters the feed. On the
other hand use thematic hashtags such as #GDPR or #privacy as warranted.
6.	Tweet in your native language first and English second if possible.
We're a global community so let's talk to everyone.
7.	Engage with other SoMe users and conduct conversations with them but
remember, keep it civil
8.	Adopt and become familiar with tweetdeck, twitters console for
advanced users. This is absolutely essential for monitoring multiple, custom
threads.
9.	Use/subscribe to lists to monitor groups of handles. To give
everyone a head start, here are two of my own that I monitor on tweetdeck:
@JohnLaprise/Netgov-Organizations
<https://twitter.com/JohnLaprise/lists/Netgov-Organizations>
@JohnLaprise/Netgov-Individuals
<https://twitter.com/JohnLaprise/lists/Netgov-Individuals>
10.	Adopt the free version of a SoMe aggregator like buffer
<https://buffer.com/>  or Hootsuite <https://hootsuite.com/>  which allows
you to schedule and coordinate postings from multiple SoMe accounts. I use
it for FB, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Schedule posts in the morning and let the
app send them out throughout the day.
11.	Use Reddit <https://www.reddit.com/>  to keep track of trending
stories
12.	Use rightrelevance <http://www.rightrelevance.com/>  to identify key
SoMe voices in the topic areas of interest.
13.	Usually someone tracks top SoMe contributors at ICANN. Pay attention
to who they are. Meet them in person if possible and engage with them
online.
14.	When composing tweets (and especially live tweeting) remember to try
and include the following

a.	Smart
b.	Funny
c.	Insightful
d.	Picture
e.	Link

This can be very difficult especially when you're live tweeting but the more
of these checkboxes you check off, the stickier your post and the more
likely it is to be shared.

15.	DO NOT ENGAGE WITH TROLLS. I can't say it more clearly.

a.	My policy is to mute (I don't block.free speech supporter) and if
offensive, report to Twitter for Terms of Service violation. In my
experience, they're pretty good.
b.	I also maintain a public list for trolls and place the offending
tweeter on it. (my choice there)

16.	If you see spam/ads on the #ICANN61 as we will as the hashtag
trends, mute and report the tweet as being spam. Twitter will deal with them
and it helps keep the feed clear for meaningful content.

That's all I can think of for now. I encourage all of you to go through the
lists and adopt/utilize what you can. If you have helpful tips/tricks,
please share them to this thread.

At ICANN61 I'd like to convene an informal meeting of WG members who are
attending. Details TBA.

Staff: please also go through and adopt/utilize as appropriate. This is a
rough take but after you look it over for editing/formatting, let's make it
available on the wiki if there are no objections.

Going forward, I'd really like to see a core of SoME leaders in each RALO,
supporting the messaging by region. Let me know if you're interested or have
ideas.

Best regards,

Best regards,

John Laprise