[tech-whois] A follow up session in San Francisco?

Liz Gasster liz.gasster at icann.org
Tue Feb 22 02:42:47 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I'd like to thank Jim, Jay and Michael for their thoughtful points and respond to their concerns related to the process or next steps for this work.

This technical WHOIS work originated in part from a report prepared by staff in July 2009 at the request of the GNSO to detail the technical WHOIS service requirements that might be required to support current WHOIS requirements and proposed future WHOIS policy proposals, including the problem of internationalized domain names. (See: http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/whois-service-requirements-final-report-29jul10-en.pdf ).  In the course of preparing this report, and analyzing how the WHOIS protocol can accommodate IDNs in particular, the question arose -- is the existing protocol robust enough to continue as-is, or should the protocol be updated to address its shortcomings before introducing the complexities associated with IDNs?  IRIS is an existing protocol with extensive capabilities, but it has not been widely adopted. As new gTLDs are introduced, it will be important to better understand why this is the case.  And in the course of research, staff also learned that a web-based alternative to the current protocol was being used by some RIRs, and explored further to see whether this type of implementation might provide capabilities worth considering.

Staff kicked off this dialogue with the ICANN community to evaluate the WHOIS protocol from a purely technical perspective -- assuming the current WHOIS policies stay largely in place.  If this dialogue leads to an understanding that the technical protocol needs to be changed for all gTLDs, staff fully appreciates -- and would expect the community to follow -- the appropriate procedures for adoption of that new protocol, including the initiation of the GNSO Council's policy development processes as set forth in the ICANN bylaws.  There may also be a need to reach out to the IETF as appropriate and to conduct an evaluation of existing contracts to determine if they should be updated or amended to incorporate any new technical protocols.

However, it may be premature to raise the issue within the GNSO Council at this time without more information and data.   The session in Cartagena was an initial data gathering effort, and an event in SV would be a continuation of this effort.   Because there may be others that share your concerns regarding the policy implications, I agree that it would be important to clarify in the agenda for the SV meeting the purpose/expected next steps of this dialogue.  It may be useful to note that there is a Board mandated process underway to revise the current GNSO PDP.  One of the key elements under consideration is the importance of greater fact-finding and research, prior to launching policy development work, especially on complex matters.  In this new PDP "model", the community is encouraged to meet, collect factual data, hold workshops, and even consider hiring experts when appropriate to provide useful information about the nature of policy concerns and possible options to address them before proceeding on a formal PDP track.  Creating a technical WHOIS discussion list is in keeping with that model, and is not intended to circumvent the policy development process.

If the community prefers to continue this discussion in another forum, such as under the auspices of an SO or AC, or through a "cross" SO-AC email list, staff will be happy to accommodate and support that.

Best Regards,

Liz