[tech-whois] A follow up session in San Francisco?

Dave Piscitello dave.piscitello at icann.org
Tue Mar 8 22:14:40 UTC 2011

Too often people think of authentication as a means of preventing or
blocking user access. Authentication is also an enabler of other security
and network services. For example,

1) If the Whois service provider knows and trusts the user, it could rate
limit access  - or - it could grant a trusted user a higher rate/volume of
queries, it could process queries involving pattern matching, or it could
accommodate "search" capabilities. The trust could be based on the
reputation or it could be a trust assertion based on reputation, user,
group, origin (ASN/netblock), etc.

2) Whois service providers could support data and access classification; for
example, a Whois service provider could support policy* that would
discriminate among classes of Whois users; for example, the policy might
accommodate granular access controls so that some registration data elements
are accessed based on a user or group "privilege" (mentioned this before),
or the policy might allow Whois service providers to restrict access to
registrations held by natural persons to certain classes of users (law
enforcement, for example).

These are the kinds of features one finds in a directory (DS) application.
I'm not sure we would continue to call this Whois (to Jay's delight:-). I'm
extrapolating here based on enterprise DS applications.

* for domain registration Whois, such policies would be the product of a
bottom-up, multistakeholder consensus policy process:-)