[Tmch-iag] [Tmch -iag] IAG P1 and P2 Issues - Daretia Austin comments

Austin, Daretia Daretia.Austin at timewarner.com
Tue Nov 22 17:28:44 UTC 2011

Dear Fellow IAG Members,

Below are my comments with regard to the P1 and P2 Issues as requested in Karen Lentz's email of November 17, 2011.

1.       P1 - Sunrise Domain Registration Authorization

 *   it is unclear whether the intention is to have a separate authorization code per company or per trademark.  If the latter, keeping track of numerous authorization codes would be rather cumbersome for many trademark holders.  I would also be concerned about the misappropriation/forgery aspect.
 *   I agree with Keith Barritt's comments regarding the need for the use of clear, consistent terminology with regard to registration and verification terms.
 *   The definition of "agent' is unclear, in the case of a proxy service it would be preferable to have both agent contact and owner information available in the record.
 *   It seems that the Registry would be best placed to verify whether a domain name applicant owns a corresponding trademark in the TMC.
2.       P2 - Responsibility for Registrant Claims Notice

 *   The statement in the claims notice that reads as follows is not clear "You may or may not be entitled to register the domain name depending on your intended use and whether it is the same or significantly overlaps with the trademarks listed below. Your rights to register this domain name may or may not be protected as noncommercial use or "fair use" by the laws of your country. [in bold italics or all caps - ] . Is it possible that if a trademark holder owns multiple registrations in various jurisdictions for a given mark but does not record them all with the TCH that a new domain applicant can apply in a different jurisdiction for the same mark?
 *   It seems that the Registry is best positioned to send the Claims notice.

Daretia Austin
Director - Trademarks
Time Warner Inc.
One Time Warner Center