[Tmch-iag] Follow-up from 15 Nov 11 teleconference

Tindal Richard richard at donuts.co
Mon Nov 28 05:58:48 UTC 2011

Karen,

Apologies for late submission of this.

P1:  SUNRISE

We think Option (1),  use of a token (or code), is superior to Options (2) or (3).    The primary advantage of Option (1), as noted by other respondents, is that it reduces the likelihood of mismatch between the Sunrise domain applicant contact details and the contact details in the clearinghouse for that mark.    Operational experience in earlier TLD launches indicates that legitimate Sunrise applicants frequently use contact details that differ from those provided to the entity performing the trademark clearinghouse function.    As a group we'll have to think through whether tokens apply at the level of (i) the trademark owner; (ii) a mark (which may be registered in multiple jurisdictions) ; or (iii) a jurisdiction-specific registration,  but I think we'll find ways to solve that.

P2:    CLAIMS

An introductory comment.  As I read submissions from IAG members it seems some are assuming the Claims process will be non-realtime (i.e. effected through emails or some other method wholly separate to the standard registration process).  Per Jeff Neuman's submission, there are ways to make Claims realtime (i.e. completed during the standard domain registration process).  We think the great benefit of realtime Claims is that more registrars will participate.  If it's non-realtime some registrars may sit out the 60 day Claims period (before offering the TLD).   More registrar participation means more customer exposure to the trademark owners claim.     I'm interested in opinions on this from IAG members who are registrars.

We think Option (1), registrar displaying notice to domain applicant, is far superior to Options (2) or (3).  Notices provided by parties unknown to the domain applicant will very often be treated as spam, thereby reducing the benefit of the service.    Regarding the possible disadvantages of Option (1) in the discussion paper:

All three Options require some form of registrar implementation,  Option 1 isn't alone in this
Registrars don't necessarily need access to mark holder contact information.  The Clearinghouse can send notice that a name subject to Claim was subsequently registered
Verification that Claims were displayed (i.e. registrar compliance) can be adequately tested through sampling and registry oversight.

Look forward to the next group discussion on this.

Regards

Richard Tindal
Donuts Inc.