[Tmch-iag] Trademark Clearinghouse IAG - Issue T3 and Issue N2

Tom Barrett tbarrett at encirca.com
Fri Feb 17 21:02:31 UTC 2012

Dear IAG,

I agree with Brian that EPP should be the protocol of choice concerning
queries or transactions with the TMCH.  This is much preferred over some
non-EPP version of XML.  In terms of performance, EPP has proven itself for
the past 10 years in various registry operations.

ICANN may want to announce a TMCH vendor before consensus is reached on many
of the TMCH protocols and processes.  However, this may not be that
critical, as long as the selected vendor is not pre-disposed to any one
particular solution and can implement the eventual consensus approach.

In an ideal world, registries and registrars want to be able to operate in
complete independence.  Where they need to rely on others, such as the TMCH,
then system redundancies and service-level agreements are called for.
Performance concerns are predominantly an issue during the processing of
trademark claims.

Previous discussions have raised whether data should be distributed to
registries to eliminate any dependence on the TMCH.  But providing copies of
the TMCH data to each registry (or their back-end operators) without the
ability to control and monitor access is not desirable for data security
reasons.   Distributing encrypted data in packaged database applications is
possible but not very practical.

However, the TMCH vendor should be capable of distributing TMCH data
globally while maintaining full control of the data.  This would require the
TMCH vendor to locate multiple servers around the world.  This may be the
one exception to mandating universal use of EPP.

For example, the TMCH could mirror servers containing the list of claims
notices and associated data within a global network of DNS servers around
the world.  Multiple redundancies are provided through the use of Anycast
DNS.  The TMCH data becomes distributed  but only to TMCH-controlled
servers.  Such a global network would ensure optimum response time and near
100% up-time availability for registries while maintaining the security of
the data.  Note that there any many registries and DNS service providers
that already do this.  In addition, the TMCH can log every claims request
for analysis of possible data mining.

Detailed Comments to T2 and T3:

T2:  Data Access

A comment on the "Public" option, which is defined as "Information may be
published or distributed without restriction"

I don't think there is any TMCH data that should be published or distributed
without restrictions.  All data would then be categorized as "internal",
"partner" or "restricted".

T3: Communication Protocols

Here are some specific responses to the blanks in the T3 Protocol Table:

*	Sunrise 6: EPP
*	Sunrise 7-8a: EPP
*	Claims 4-5. EPP or DNS.  This is where the TMCH can log every claims
request for analysis of possible data mining
*	Claims 10-11a: EPP
*	Claims 13-14a: EPP.  ***I am actually proposing the flow be reversed
here: for the transaction to be initiated by the TMCH with a query to the
Registry, whereby the TMCH discovers which of the requested claims resulted
in a registration.  I think this is more efficient since the Registry has no
visibility of which registrations displayed a claims notice and would need
to perform extra work to determine which registrations matched a claim.

Thank you.

Tom Barrett

EnCirca, Inc

400 West Cummings park, Suite 1725