[Tmch-iag] Keith Barritt comments re 23 Feb IAG calls

Keith Barritt barritt at fr.com
Thu Feb 23 21:50:49 UTC 2012

Apologies to all for the late comments, and for my upcoming absence on today's/tonight's call.  I did have a few issues to raise.

1)      Penalty for submission of fraudulent data to TMC(H):

I agree there needs to be deterrence of fraudulent submissions.  However, I believe a "lifetime" ban may be an extreme remedy for any bad actions, as we may be living with the TMC for a long time, and one bad actor at a company could cause an extreme hardship.  Perhaps bans should come in 5 year "chunks" for the deliberate (non-negligent) and repeated submission of material fraudulent information.  A lesser penalty could apply if only one such fraudulent submission is made.

2)      Time Frame for Revalidation of Data

I agree that proof of use, etc. could be revalidated when the underlying trademark registration is renewed and a new expiration date is provided to the TMC.

3)      Sunrise Challenge based on Non-Use

I agree lack of bona-fide use (at the time the Sunrise application was filed) should be a basis for challenging a Sunrise registration.  This will alleviate the burden on the TMC from needing to carefully scrutinize all claims of use, many of which may never be relied upon for a Sunrise registration.

4)      Sunrise Challenge based on "Incorrect" Information

It has been suggested that a Sunrise challenge could be brought if the registration request was in some way "incorrect, misleading, or fraudulent" information.  I believe that "incorrect" is too broad, as this could apply to innocent typos in an applicant's address, etc.  However, I agree that a "catch-all" provision makes sense to allow challenges to be based on "fraudulent" information that led to the award of a domain name the applicant was not entitled.

Keith Barritt
Fish & Richardson P.C.
1425 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC  20005

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.
:FR08-i203d