[Tmch-iag] Trademark Clearinghouse IAG - Issue T1

Adams, Michael D. MAdams2 at mayerbrown.com
Wed Jan 25 15:40:26 UTC 2012

From my perspective, all that is required for registries is that they have the most basic of information, namely, the existence of a validated right and the validated right’s owner.  What will not be needed by registries is an in-depth detailed set of information regarding all brands, classes claimed, countries of registration etc.  Unless my understanding is mistaken, it does not seem to me that registries have a need for the information they are advocating to receive.  Please let me know if I am missing something.  Thanks.

_________________________

Michael D. Adams
MAYER BROWN LLP
71 South Wacker Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60606-4637
Direct Dial: (312) 701-8713
Direct Fax: (312) 706-9139
e-mail: mdadams at mayerbrown.com <mailto:bmiller at mayerbrown.com>

From: tmch-iag-bounces at icann.org [mailto:tmch-iag-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Neuman, Jeff
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:46 AM
To: Jeff Eckhaus; mike at rodenbaugh.com
Cc: tmch-iag at icann.org
Subject: Re: [Tmch-iag] Trademark Clearinghouse IAG - Issue T1

From a registry perspective, if we decide to centralize all of the data in one place, as is being advocated, we run a substantial risk of affecting the real time registration process and we create a single point of failure.  If that Clearinghouse were to ever go down (or even take a scheduled maintenance), then each registry that is relying on the Clearinghouse for real time IP Claims or real time Sunrise will also go down.  Registrations may be tied up in queues or not accepted at all.  Customer support inquiries to both the registries and registrars will be a nightmare to say the least.  Who will compensate the registries and registrars for lost revenue as a result?

Question to the IP Owners:  If I really wanted information on my competitors and the brand protection strategy, cant I just go to a Thomson and Thomson or any trademark watch service and order a search on my competitors.  In other words, I believe now I am free to go to one of these search firms and demand search results on any third party to find out their brand protection strategy.  So, as Microsoft, couldn’t I order a service from Thomson and Thomson or CSC to search all of the filings of Google and alert me when new registrations come in?  How would this be different?

And if there is still a concern, couldn’t we create a code of conduct which forbids the disclosure of such data or separates the duties out whereby anyone working on the registry cannot share that information with others even within their own corporation.

There are tradeoffs here that need to be considered.

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.