[technology taskforce] Update on IM

Gordon Chillcott gordontc at look.ca
Thu Jun 21 18:52:32 UTC 2012

Dev:

With apologies for the long period of silence.

Bill and I have begun to form our examination of Instant Messaging for
At-Large.  Our current emphasis is on Skype, since this is the most
commonly used messaging tool in At-Large (except for the chat facility
in Adobe Connect, which is used to some effect during meetings)

We have identified some concerns with Skype – among these are:
-  the use and effectiveness of in-line translation tools;
- Skype's use in various Operating System Environments.   Documentation
and help is readily available for Windows and some has been found fo r
Mac/OS installations.   Documentation exists for for Linux, Android and
the Ipad and Iphone, but it is inconveniently located on the Skype
website;
- integration of translation tools in various OS environments.

We have begun to put together a group inside our ALS to help us in the
first part of this work  We will actively go out to the rest of the Task
Force for further help once we have a better view of what needs further
study (and documentation).  In the meantime, however, we ask any member
of the Task Force who wishes to please get in touch with either of us –
fresh eyes are always welcome!

Gordon Chillcott