[technology taskforce] Loomio : an open-source tool for collaborative decision-making

Gordon Chillcott gordontc at look.ca
Tue Mar 17 14:11:10 UTC 2015

Hello, all:

I take Lance's point here about the amount of communication and
knowledge sharing that takes place, particularly in this task force -
and this is extremely valuable.

There is, however, a LOT of activity around the business of approaching
an issue, exploring its impacts and defining solutions.   Traditionally
(if I can use that word), this is done in a combination of meetings and
e-mails.

I can cite two examples here - one is the business of discussing the
impact of a proposed policy move and writing the conclusions into
"statements" produced by ALAC.   Another is the ongoing work to define
the shape of the outcome of the transition of IANA stewarship.

I can see this tool being used in at least these two situations - and it
might even have the effect of drawing more participants into the
discussion, which would not be a bad thing.

I agree that we should try this tool out, first to see how easy it is to
use, and then to try out a discussion on some topic.

Gordon