[technology taskforce] Skype Blog: Skype for Linux Alpha and calling on Chrome and Chromebooks

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 22:55:17 UTC 2016

>From http://blogs.skype.com/2016/07/13/skype-for-linux-alpha-and-calling-on-chrome-and-chromebooks/

"Today, we’re pleased to announce the launch of the Alpha version of a
new Skype for Linux client. ....a brand new WebRTC version of Skype
for Linux....you’ll notice that it’s very different from the Skype for
Linux client you use today. For example, you’ll be using the latest,
fast and responsive Skype UI, you can share files, photos and videos
and send a whole new range of new emoticons.

As we develop this new version of Skype for Linux, we need you to
test, provide feedback and help us prioritize features. You will
notice that with the Alpha version of Skype for Linux, which uses our
next generation calling architecture, you will be able to call your
friends and family on the latest versions of Skype on Windows, Mac,
iOS and Android, but you won’t be able to make or receive calls to and
from the previous versions of Skype for Linux (4.3.0.37). Please do
provide as much feedback as you can on Skype for Linux Alpha, so we
can continue to improve call connections and reliability.

A couple of months ago, we announced plugin free calling using ORTC on
Skype for Web, Outlook and in Office Web Apps, using Microsoft Edge.
ORTC makes it possible to make free voice and video calls on Skype
without needing to download an app or browser plugin—so it’s really
easy to get started on Skype.

Today, anyone using a Chromebook or Chrome on Linux can now visit
web.skype.com and make one-to-one and group voice calls on top of the
messaging features they get today. This again is an Alpha version of
Skype based on WebRTC and inherits the same features as the Alpha
version of the Skype for Linux client. This is our initial step on our
path to replicate ORTC capabilities beyond Microsoft Edge. As such, we
want to hear feedback to help us deliver more excitement in the
upcoming months.

Video calling and calls to landlines and mobiles are coming soon to
Chrome browsers in Linux and Chromebooks, so stay tuned for updates
over the coming weeks and months.

Read full article for links
http://blogs.skype.com/2016/07/13/skype-for-linux-alpha-and-calling-on-chrome-and-chromebooks/