[technology taskforce] Fwd: Request to mailing list At-Large rejected

Jason Hynds jason.hynds at partsinc.biz
Wed May 25 10:29:42 UTC 2016

Hi,

As Seun said, there is a default privacy setting in GNU Mailman software
(that facilitates the mailing list) that flags Blind Carbon Copy (BCC)
mails to mailing lists in the manner that you experienced.

For alternative behaviour, the administrator or moderator has to
explicitly make a change:

    To accept all BCCs to the list and get rid of this message entirely:

      * Go to Privacy Options / Recipient Filters and set the
        require_explicit_destination option to be "No". This should be
        the first option on the page, and by default, Mailman will set
        this option to be "Yes"

However, the main reason behind this setting appears to be for the
protection of you and your mailing list colleagues from what was
recognised at some point to be a spammer characteristics. The setting
could be inconvenient though.

By way of example, as I was composing this, I received a spam message as
a BCC'd message from a former client with what looks like a malicious
attachment. That message probably went to all of the entries in his
address book. If he was on the At-Large mailing list, then we _would not
have received it_ due to the very setting at issue. The spam engine is
likely sending one message to a significant number of recipients in the
BCC field. The more convincing spam tends have a person as a single
recipient, or rather than a huge list of unknown recipients.

 From a pedantic viewpoint, whilst you may need to BCC to a
/distribution list/ (an identifier that conveniently points to and
expands into multiple email addresses), one would more conduct a
broadcast or discussion with an /electronic mailing list/ / /listserv
/(an email client independent announce or discussion based, automated
membership facility allowing all members to be reached via a single
email address). One should not need /to hide/ the action of messaging a
mailing list as _per its original purpose_.

I do utilize /groups/ (in Google) and /mailing lists/ (in Mailman)
sometimes for the convenience of being better than /distribution lists/
especially with respect to being email client and device independent.
Sometimes, I don't wish for one group to be aware that I emailed the
other group the same thing, for whatever reason. However, with Mailman,
unless I'm administrating it, I have to toe the line.

Moderation for technical reasons or in line with an acceptable use
policy is quite different to any concern about it being an "open list".

Good discussion. Have a great day!

Regards,

Jason Hynds