[technology taskforce] At-Large use of Group Chat applications - what's your take?

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 14:45:49 UTC 2017

;-) which is what happens when I try to have too many drafts onscreen.

As I was saying, I do need feedback on what this group wants regarding
group chat applications

Some of my thoughts

- we use Skype for At-Large chat
However there are disadvantages of using Skype
- chat history is not preserved - a lot of At-Large discussions over
the years have already been lost as persons upgrade their machines
- conversations on various topics happens in one group so as multiple
persons chime in at different times, potential conversations/insights
on a particular topic/issue are lost in the one stream.
- no ability to search messages across all skype groups - one has to
remember what skype group a potential message was in to find it

QUESTION : Any other disadvantages to note?

- there are a myriad of group chat applications - Slack, Hipchat,
Rocket.chat, Mattermost

- all share common features
     - creating public rooms or channels for groups and/or topics
     - creating private groups not visible to persons outside of such groups
     - mobile apps to get push notifications and to respond to
messages via mobile more effectively
     - ability to search across all channels and rooms
     - can be administered by staff to create/archive/delete rooms/channels
      - staff/admins have more control to add/remove/invite persons
     - allows for extensions/integrations so that different services
can be integrated (eg Twitter notifications to a channel, email to a
channel)

QUESTION: Any other core features to note?

Based on these core features, Group chat offers significant benefits than Skype
- potential for At-large community members to be added by Staff and
added to channels of their interest
- potential to reduce email overload
- ability to find messages and conversations when they have time and
new found interest to learn/participate more

QUESTION: Any other core benefits?

QUESTION - Are there any specific feature that makes a specific group
chat stand out in terms of which one should be picked?

QUESTION - What do we want to recommend for ALAC/ICANN as next steps?

Looking forward to comments

Dev Anand