[technology taskforce] At-Large use of Group Chat applications - what's your take?

Anivar Aravind anivar at indicproject.org
Tue Mar 14 01:40:10 UTC 2017

Hi Dev

I understand th concerns are no hosting , easy for Public participation &
chat history preservation

The option I like to suggest testing  is matrix.org and its clients like
Riot

Matrix is an open standard for decentralised communication, providing
simple HTTP APIs and open source reference implementations for securely
distributing and persisting JSON over an open federation of servers.

You can use Matrix for…

   - Decentralised Group Chat - Fully distributed persistent chatrooms with
   no single points of control or failure

   - WebRTC SignallingWeb  -friendly signalling transport for interoperable
   VoIP and video calling

   -  Internet of Things  - Exchanging and persisting data between devices
   and services

and anywhere else you need a common data fabric to link together fragmented
silos of communication.

In our Organization , we use IRC public rooms in freenode , but primarily
connected using Riot clients  for web , Android and Ios.

http://matrix.org/docs/projects/try-matrix-now.html

This opens up participation room in a big way, and bring convenience on top
of IRC

any simple logging bot can log communication history. as in old days.

There is no server involved .

Anivar

https://anivar.net

https://twitter.com/anivar