[technology taskforce] LACRALO mailing list issues May 2018

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 01:10:30 UTC 2018

cc the TTF mailing list

Hello Corinna, Mark

Trust you are well and hope to get some feedback on this issue since
first raised on June 1 2018.

Just to followup on some observed discrepancies on the LACRALO mailing
list translations. Several emails from the LACRALO-es list are not
being translated to the lac-discuss-en list.
One example : https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-es/2018-May/034043.html

The LACRALO-es list in May 2018
(https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-es/2018-May/thread.html)
had 229 emails while the LACRALO-en list in May 2018 had 179 emails
(https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-en/2018-May/thread.html)
which sounds like a LOT of emails are not being translated.

Given you have access to the error logs of the translation tool, can
you investigate why this is happening?

Also, I've received many private complaints/concerns regarding the
"Sentence punctuation must be followed by a space" error message
emails they get.

As I've noted before on TTF calls, I think this error check needs to
be reconsidered as it is very hard to find where in an email the
sentence punctuation error occurs. The error email doesn't include any
indication of where the error was detected. I suspect many (if not
all) persons don't bother trying to find the problem and therefore
nothing changes, behaviour wise.

I'm thinking the tool needs to be updated to treat with punctuation
points without the space immediately after and thereby removing the
error check. Or failing that, the error email points to where the
sentence punctuation error occurs.

Kind Regards,

Dev Anand Teelucksingh
former TTF chair