[technology taskforce] Web Accessibility Victory

Greg Shatan greg at isoc-ny.org
Tue Oct 15 04:47:48 UTC 2019

I'd like to clarify what happened in the *Domino's* case.

Essentially, the case changes nothing,  but it confirms a great deal.  It
has been widely accepted over the last several years that website
accessibility violations are a violation of the Americans with Disabilities
Act. As a matter of fact, over 2,500 lawsuits were filed alleging web
accessibility violations, most by blind or visually impaired plaintiffs.
This year, the US is on track to see over 3,000 such lawsuits.  Nearly all
of these suits settle quickly, with a settlement that largely goes to the
law firm and not the plaintiff.

Recent cases where defendants challenged the application of the ADA to
websites have almost all been lost by the defendants.  So, this case is
neither novel nor surprising.  What is important is that until now, the
issue had not been tested at the Supreme Court.  By letting the lower court
decision stand, the Court signaled that the case was correctly decided and
that the decision raised no novel or complex issues.

Best regards,

Greg

Greg Shatan
greg at isoc-ny.org