[twochar_comments] Release of two-character country codes relating to the following gTLDS: .airforce, .navy, and .army [UNCLASSIFIED]

Nicola Treloar Nicola.Treloar at mbie.govt.nz
Wed Mar 25 02:20:20 UTC 2015

To whom it may concern

The following comment is in response to the application by United TLD Holdco Ltd for the release of two-character country codes relating to the following gTLDS: .airforce, .navy, and .army

The New Zealand Government is unable to agree to the use of its country code 'nz' at the second level under the above gTLDs without further consultation between the applicant and the New Zealand Government.
While we note the additional commitments United TLD Holdco Ltd made during the gTLD application process to reduce confusion for users, we continue to have concerns that the use of the nz country code will create confusion that these domain names are in some way associated with the New Zealand Defence Force. As such, we intend to contact the applicant to discuss its application and whether additional steps can be taken to manage potential user confusion.

In the event that the New Zealand Government changes its position on the use of the nz country code in association with these gTLDs, we will contact ICANN directly.

Nicola Treloar
GAC Representative for New Zealand
Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment

govt.nz - your guide to finding and using New Zealand government services

Any opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivery to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any use is
strictly prohibited. Please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your computer.