resolution of TZ variable?

seismo!nbires!vianet!devine seismo!nbires!vianet!devine
Fri Feb 6 02:37:00 UTC 1987

  I'm not sure if a consensus was ever reached on the definition
of how to store information about what timezone for a user.

  My suggestion is that "TZ" is acknowledged as the place where
the timezone choice is placed.  But no definition of what the
string looks like is given for POSIX.  It is an implementors
decision as to what is placed there -- file name, TZ rules, or
magic string.

  On this point a "should" should be used to guide the implementor
in a reasonable direction (ie one of the 3 ways listed, don't
come up a 4th version).

Bob Devine