Solaris 2.2 has many timezone bugs

Paul Eggert eggert at shadow.twinsun.com
Tue Jun 22 07:33:01 UTC 1993

Solaris 2.2 seems based on a particularly ancient version of the
timezone code.  It has many bugs that, near as I can tell, were fixed
as long ago as 1989 in the public domain version.  This is a real step
backwards from SunOS 4.1.x.

The most serious bug will occur on October 24, 1993 in GB-Eire: Solaris
2.2's switch from summer to winter time will be delayed until October
31.  There are some other bugs in Australia, Brazil, Chile, Israel, and
Korea zones.  I just filed an official bug report with Sun, but I don't
have much hope of it having an effect in time.  Perhaps someone with
some influence at Sun can get them to upgrade to the latest tz code
before Solaris 2.3 comes out.  Or I could just post a note to
comp.risks...