Canadian bilingual time zone names

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Wed Nov 16 18:46:11 UTC 1994

I enclose below (with permission) copies of Usenet articles written by
Alain LaBont<e'>, which cover the Canadian standard for multilingual
time zone names.  (I've told him about the tz tables.)

At first I thought I'd propose to duplicate all the Canadian Zone and
Rule lines, one copy for English and one copy for French.  But now I'm
not so sure, since this practice would greatly balloon the tables if
we did it for all multilingual locations.  The topic of multilingual
time zone names seems to have slipped through the standardization
cracks, since the LC_TIME environment variable doesn't address this issue.

One way out of the problem would be to extend the syntax of the TZ
environment variable to allow optional specification of the names of
the standard and daylight zone names before the name of the file.
E.g. `TZ=America/Halifax,HNA,HAA' for people in
<I^>les-de-la-Madeleine who want French time zone names.  This is a
bit of a hack, since it doesn't address the issue of double-daylight
zone names, or changes in zone names over time, but it may be the most
practical solution.

Another way would be to extend LC_TIME somehow to cover time zone names.
This sounds less plausible to me, since there are dozens of time
zones and most locales don't care about names of time zones on the
other side of the planet.