South Australia fools around withi its timezone again

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Mon Sep 19 17:15:05 UTC 1994

       Date:        Mon, 19 Sep 1994 12:17:09 +0930
       From:        Mark Prior <mrp at itd.adelaide.edu.au>

       Rule    AS      1995    only    -       Mar     26      2:00    0    -

Is that `2:00' or `3:00'?  According to the latest tz tables, since
1945 every Australian jurisdiction has used 3:00 for the fall
switchover if it used DST at all.  However, Shanks (1991) gives 2:00
for all the switchovers.  When I incorporated Shanks's data, I went
with the tz tables, but it'd be nice to check this.

   Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 18:43:57 +1000
   From: Robert Elz <kre at munnari.OZ.AU>

   I don't know if Mar 26 is the 4th Sunday, the last Sunday (next
   year its both of those) or something else.

Judging from the past, it's probably the last Sunday; as far as I know
no Australian jurisdiction has ever used a 4th-Sunday rule.  We'll
find out in 1996, if they don't change the rules again before then.

   The Vic & Tas rules will need adjusting as well.  At least all
   three should (in theory) become the same now.

If my guesses are right, this won't change Tasmania, just Victoria.

   ACT obviously just goes along with NSW, anything else would be
   silly.

While I was looking into this, I noticed Shanks says that precisely
that silliness occurred in fall 1982, causing an error in the tz data
for 1982 Sydney (since had I copied the Canberra data, assuming Sydney
and Canberra were the same).  I'll incorporate a fix into my next
proposed patch.