timezone stuff on 64 bit machines

Erik Troan ewt at redhat.com
Wed Oct 18 19:55:40 UTC 1995

On Wed, 18 Oct 1995, J.T. Conklin wrote:

> Are you sure this is the problem?  Last I heard, the tzcode works fine
> on NetBSD/alpha (I integrated it into the NetBSD C library virtually
> unchanged).

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure.

Does NetBSD/alpha use 64 bit time_t or 32 bit? If it uses only 32 time
bits, that would explain this.

Looking at the logic of the loop I pointed out makes me feel suspicious
though. It does something once for every year in the system's time domain.
A 64-bit time field has a *lot* of years (over 100 trillion).

Erik

 "Eggheads unite!  You have nothing to lose but your yolks" - Adlai Stevenson

    Erik Troan   =   http://sunsite.unc.edu/ewt/   =   ewt at sunsite.unc.edu