Chile's time zone data wrong

Eduardo Krell ekrell at tandem.cl
Thu Oct 19 17:17:00 UTC 1995

Hi,
  I don't know if you're the right person, but your name is in
Sun's /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/southamerica file under Solaris 2.4

  I wanted you to know that the rule for Chile is incorrect. This year,
we switched to DST at midnight on Saturday, October 14th, but the rules
in that file made our Suns switch to DST a week earlier.

  The reason for the discrepancy is that the rules in the file specify to
switch to DST at 0:00 the second sunday of October. This year, October 1st
was a sunday, so the second Sunday was October 8th. That's when our Suns
switched to DST.

  However, the law says to switch to DST at midnight on the second SATURDAY
of October, which is not the same as 0:00 on the second sunday of October.
In fact, this year the bug showed up because October 1st was a Sunday...

  May I suggest to change the specification to Sun>=9 ?

Eduardo Krell
R&D Manager
Tandem Chile S.A.
Santiago