Daylight Savings

Monty Solomon monty at roscom.COM
Sat Apr 20 02:21:15 UTC 1996

FYI.  Several excerpts from RISKS DIGEST 18.02, 18.03, 18.04, 18.05 ...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 13:31:38 -0400
From: Matt Welsh <mdw at CS.Cornell.EDU>
Subject: De facto Daylight Savings

At http://www.timing.se/Daylight.html there is a brief discussion
of the rules for Daylight Savings Time changeovers for central Europe
and the UK. At the end of the page it says:

> NOTE: From autumn 1996 the rule of changing from standard time to
> daylight time is changed. The new rule is valid for central Europe
> including the UK is:
>
> Standard time    to  Daylight Saving       LAST SUNDAY OF MARCH
> Daylight Saving  to  Standard time         LAST SUNDAY OF OCTOBER
>
> The rule is a "de facto standard," not a law.
>
> The switching occurs at 01:00 UTC for central Europe (Stockholm Paris etc.)
> Local time that is at 02:00 STD to DST  and  03:00 DST to STD.
> (STD = Standard time, DST = Daylight Saving Time or Summer Time.)
>
> Note: The legal switching is steered by laws that state dates for a couple
> of years. When a period ends a new law is issued that gives the dates for
> the next years.
>
> The Laws do not state any general rule. Only dates for a couple years
> each time. The "de facto rule" works, but there is no warranty it will
> work forever!

With all of our scrambling about to deal with the Year 2000 problem,
shouldn't we be just as concerned with this inconsistency that arises
yearly (especially if there are no 'hard and fast' laws/standards to dictate
DST changeovers)?

M. Welsh, mdw at cs.cornell.edu