c-common.c; strftime.c; question

Alan Perry Alan.Perry at Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Aug 23 03:39:31 UTC 1996

> From guy at netapp.com Thu Aug 22 19:45:31 1996
>
> > If you are going to follow the standards, then strftime() should replace
> > %x with the "locale's appropriate date representation".  That means that
> > the date representation should vary based on the locale that the caller
> > is running under.  The default locale is the C locale.
> >
> > I am at home and I do not keep the standards here, so I cannot look up
> > what that should be, but I can do it later tonight or tomorrow.
>
> My copy of ANSI X3.159-1989 doesn't appear to specify the C locale's
> "appropriate date representation".  My copy of IEEE 1003.1b-1993 doesn't
> appear to specify it either.

There must be something wrong with my real job that I am spending so much
time on this :-)

I found the XPG4 definition of the C/POSIX locale (for those reading along,
I am in the XPG4 System Interfaces Definitions Issue 4, Version 2).  The
LC_TIME locale category is discussed starting at Section 5.3.5, p. 69.
The C/POSIX locale value for d_fmt (the thing associated with %x) is
"%m/%d/%y".  This can be found on p. 75.

Normally, XPG4 is not very creative here, so I doubt they made this up,
but I cannot find where they could have taken it from.  I will ask the
big league standards guys around here tomorrow.

alan