Bethel, Alaska time zone history.

Sue Ann Bowling sbowling at gi.alaska.edu
Tue Jun 25 21:03:05 UTC 1996

I am trying to work out time of obsevation corrections for a number of
climate stations in Alaska.  This requires that I know the time zone, as
well as the time of day that observations were made, for each point in the
station's history.  I now have most of the Alaska stations straight, though
I am a little nervous about the boundary between the Yukon and Pacific time
zones prior to the 1950's.  Bethel, however, is giving me a real problem.
The station is located almost on the boundary between what was (prior to
1983) the boundary between the Bering and Alaska/Hawaii time zones, and the
information I have (not much) suggests that it may have switched back and
forth.  Does anyone have any information on this?

Sue Ann Bowling
Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks