[Karst Koymans: bin/1740: Setting TZ to unusual values c]

Garrett Wollman wollman at lcs.mit.edu
Wed Oct 9 15:47:57 UTC 1996

I don't know whether this is a BSD-specific problem or exists in the
current tzcode, but I figured I might forward it here in case it does.

-GAWollman

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Karst.Koymans at phil.ruu.nl
Sender: owner-bugs at freebsd.org
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: bin/1740: Setting TZ to unusual values crashes applications using localtime
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 14:33:13 -0700 (PDT)

>Number:         1740
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       Setting TZ to unusual values crashes applications using localtime
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Setting TZ to unusual values like "Europe" crashes all applications
using the localtime routine. This is because the tzload routine
happily opens any file, even directories, as valid timezone files.
"Europe" happens to be a directory under /usr/share/zoneinfo.
>How-To-Repeat:
TZ=Europe date