Solaris multithreading and timezones

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Mon Oct 21 04:37:51 UTC 1996

   Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:03:55 +1000 (EST)
   From: Valery Aronov <valery at ind.tansu.com.au>

   How is it possible to manage current zone information in MT-safe fashion?

Write and use a thread-safe version of the tz library.

This requires changing the interfaces to localtime, gmtime, tzset, etc.
(localtime_r is not enough.)  One must also make the locale a
parameter, for strftime at least.  And I'm afraid that this will
require going into the guts of the C library, which will make it hard
to do portably.

On my (long) list of things to do is to make a thread-safe version of
the glibc version of the tz library.  Once you know you're dealing
with that particular library, the job becomes tractable.