Solaris multithreading and timezones

Garrett Wollman wollman at lcs.mit.edu
Mon Oct 21 14:41:58 UTC 1996

<<On Sun, 20 Oct 1996 21:37:51 -0700, Paul Eggert <eggert at twinsun.com> said:

> On my (long) list of things to do is to make a thread-safe version of
> the glibc version of the tz library.  Once you know you're dealing
> with that particular library, the job becomes tractable.

FreeBSD includes a reentry-preventing version of the timezone code.
Granted, this is not an ideal state of affairs, but it does allow
people to call localtime() in their threaded C programs.  (The library
simply puts a global lock wrapper around all the time functions that
examine the zone structure.)

-GAWollman

wollman at lcs.mit.edu  | O Siem / The fires of freedom
MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick