Non-EU Europe, record set today

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Tue Oct 29 19:43:39 UTC 1996

   Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 18:58:13 GMT
   From: peter at aldie.co.uk (Peter Ilieve)

   Does this IATA manual specifically say that it gives times of
   change for civil time, or does it describe some special IATA rules?

I don't have the IATA manual itself, but judging from the data, it
(understandably) gives times of change for airport schedules.  In the
Soviet Union, airports and train stations all ran on Moscow time, and
the old IATA tables reflected this.  It's conceivable that the
tradition of (airport time) != (ordinary civil time) persists in parts
of the ex-Soviet Union, though I'd be surprised if the difference was
merely what time of day to move the clocks.

In general, when there are multiple, disagreeing times used at the
same location, I've tried to use the most popular one.
Here it'd presumably be ordinary civil time and not airport time.
In other cases I don't know which time was more popular (for example,
Tokyo from 1948 to 1951) so I've had to guess.

For Estonia and Latvia I have more faith in your relative's direct
experience than in the IATA's tables, and my next proposed patch will
reflect this.