Comments on download/Asia

Stephen Eubank eubank at itl.atr.co.jp
Thu Sep 5 14:35:16 UTC 1996

Chris Carrier says:

> It was postulated that Japan would go on DST in 1996, probably using the
> American rules of 1st Sunday in April to last Sunday in October.  I just
> called AT&T and got back a time of GMT+9; therefore they are not on DST.
> (This does not, however, preclude their going on DST this April 7 and then
> deciding to end DST earlier than planned.)

I have been living in Japan for a year and can confirm that there was no
DST this year. Also, although I can't read Japanese newspapers, it's worth
pointing out that there was absolutely no mention of the possibility of
implementing DST in any English-language periodicals here, as far as I know.
The only place I've heard anything about the possibility is on this
mailing list.  (Of course, this being Japan, perhaps such things are
not discussed before they are announced :-))

Stephen Eubank
eubank at itl.atr.co.jp