Time zone for the German all year antarctic station

Wilhelm Mueller muewi at hb.senbvs43.uni-bremen.de
Wed Jul 23 14:32:11 UTC 1997

A friend of mine started working with the Alfred-Wegener-Institut, the
German Institute for Polar and Ocean Research.  So I aked him if he
couldn't find out about the time used at the Georg-Neumayer-Station.
Here's the answer, directly from the station leader (oheudeck is my
friend's account at the AWI):

 > From: neumayer (Stationsleiter)
 > To: oheudeck
 > Subject: Mail from Neumayer Station Jul 23 1997 02:59
 > Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 02:59:06 +0200
 >
 > Sehr geehrter Herr Heudecker,
 > selbstverstaendlich werden alle Fragen sofort beantwortet.
 > Wir haben hier auf der Station ganzjaehrig, also ohne Sommerzeitregelungen,
 > die utc-Zeit. Wir sind im Sommer mit unserer Tageszeit zwei Stunden hinter
 > der bremerhavenener Ortszeit zurueck, im Winter nur eine Stunde. Dies entspricht
 > zwar nicht ganz den geographischen Gegebenheiten, spielt aber hier nicht so die
 > Rolle. [...]

Translation (text in [] is from me):
   Dear Mr. Heudecker,

   of course all questions will be answered immediately.
   We have here at the station all over the year, that is,
   daylight saving time rules do not apply, UTC.  In summer [that
   must refer to the Northern hemisphere] our time of day is two hours
   behind Bremerhaven [the city where the AWI administration and main
   facilities are located] local time, in winter just one.  This does
   not correspond to geographic facts, but is not of much concern here.

Yours,

  W. Müller
--

"I don't object to sex before marriage, but two minutes before?!?"

   Der Senator für Bau, Verkehr und Stadtentwicklung
   Referat 43            (Dienststelle Schlachte 32)
   Wilhelm Müller             Tel: +49-421-361-10629
   Ansgaritorstraße 2         Fax: +49-421-361-2295
   D-28195 Bremen, Germany

   Bits KeyID    Fingerprint
   2048 C2F0A2D1 B1452644 DEBB647F 94AA3DA9 01608E0A
   1024 9548B531 AE9AD94C 978ABC3F 4B25B52B 1E752137
    512 48B324ED 885C3131 DDF53740 DB7F9421 2A5431EE