How do you generate POSIX time zone strings?

Markus G. Kuhn kuhn at cs.purdue.edu
Fri Mar 21 17:10:54 UTC 1997

Tony Glenning wrote on 1997-03-21 01:43 UTC:
> I am not too familiar with all the varients
> of the POSIX strings. If you (or anyone else) could send me the standard
> (or a reference to the standard) regarding these strings, that would
> help out.

The POSIX format for describing a time zone rule in the TZ environment
variable is defined in

  ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996 (ANSI/IEEE Std 1003.1, 1996 Edition),
  Information technology--Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX)
  Part 1: System Application Program Interface (API) [C Language],
  896 pages, ISBN 1-55937-573-6, IEEE order number SH94352-NYF.
  Price: 120 USD (first copy for IEEE members: 84 USD).

You can order this standard as well as all other IEEE standards
directly from IEEE:

  phone:  +1 908 981 1393 (TZ: eastern standard time)
           1 800 678 4333 (toll free from US+Canada only)
  fax:    +1 908 981 9667
  e-mail: stds.info at ieee.org

Information about POSIX and other IEEE standards is available on
<http://stdsbbs.ieee.org/> and some information about POSIX on
<http://www.knosof.co.uk/posix.html>. Unfortunately the full
standard documents are only available as books or on CD-ROM, not on
the Internet.

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Computer Science grad student, Purdue
University, Indiana, USA -- email: kuhn at cs.purdue.edu