time zone object

Nathan Myers ncm at cantrip.org
Sat Sep 27 07:57:47 UTC 1997

John Cowan <cowan at drv.cbc.com>
> Nathan Myers wrote:
> > a "double", relative to Jan 1, 2001, ...
> > would give microsecond accuracy for now, with
> > precision decreasing as we pass and recede from that date; or we
> > could use a 64-bit integer count of microseconds from practically
> > any choice of epochs.  Each representation has its advantages.
>
> First, note that the term "epoch" refers to the moment of time
> represented as zero, not the range of expressible times.  The
> Unix epoch is 1997 Jan 1 00:00:00 GMT.

I believe I used the term "epoch" correctly.  Of course (as I said)
the choice of epoch is of no interest given a fixed-precision time
value.  A floating-point time has greatest precision near the epoch.
With a 48 bit mantissa, precision would still be better than a
millisecond for dates throughout recorded history.

> ... I favor the Java convention:  a 64-bit signed integer
> representing milliseconds, with the same epoch as Unix.  That
> provides sufficient resolution for normal purposes (anything
> that *requires* microsecond resolution probably requires
> microcode, embedded programming, or the like), and has a range
> clear back to the Carboniferous Period (~300 My B.P.)

Some of us do write microcode and embedded programs, and code in
such environments tends make more use of time quantities than the
is conventional (hence the term "real-time").  Still, the current
Java convention seems tolerable for most uses.

> > The second familiar problem is the crossover periods for time changes.
> > Converting from microseconds-past-epoch to local time is well-defined;
> > but conversion back demands accommodation to local time that doesn't
> > exist (during "spring forward" gaps); and [2] local time that is
> > ambiguous (before or after "fall back").  Since there isn't any really
> > satisfactory solution to these, they just need to be visible (and
> > unavoidable) in the interface.
>
> The ADO package uses the is_dst field to resolve the ambiguity.
> Except during "fall back" overlaps, this field isn't required when
> converting from broken-out local time to absolute time, but it is
> used to resolve the ambiguity in that case.

The is_dst field fails to solve the problem.  The problem is that
the caller of the conversion function is generally not equipped to
"resolve the ambiguity", or even to determine whether there is an
ambiguity to resolve.  The overwhelming majority of programs do not
(and probably cannot) correctly or meaningfully use the is_dst field.

The conversion function itself can tell whether there might be an
ambiguity, but has no way to communicate it back to the caller, or
to identify the set of alternatives.

I believe that the conversion function must return a value that
represents 0, 1, or 2 time values, so that the caller is equipped
to (and forced to) deal with the ambiguity after all the necessary
information is available.

We also need a time representation equivalent to "NaN" that permits
us to talk about times shortly before the epoch.

> > The third problem is that the TZ database on line is available only
> > in a form that would be very clumsy to handle in an on-line transaction.
> > That is, if it changes at all (which happens frequently), there is no
> > way to check for rule changes in a particular locality without downloading
> > the whole thing and unpacking it, which would introduce an unacceptable
> > delay in an interactive application.
>
> Why so?  A server can load single "zoneinfo" binary files as needed
> from a conventional HTTP server: several could be provided around
> the Internet, and intranets could have one or two available also.

This seems like the beginning of a reasonable approach.  Better failure
tolerance than "Error 200" seems needed.

Nathan Myers
ncm at cantrip.org