time zone object

John Cowan cowan at drv.cbc.com
Mon Sep 29 13:34:35 UTC 1997

Markus Kuhn wrote:

> Therefore, I consider anything less than 64-bit timestamps and
> nanosecond resolution in a new portable clock interface to be somewhat
> old-fashioned and ignorant about current hardware capabilities.
>
> POSIX uses
>
>     struct timespec {
>         long    tv_sec;         /* seconds */
>         long    tv_nsec;        /* nanoseconds */
>     };
>
> where tv_nsec is in the range 0 to 999_999_999.

And I consider a representation that is limited to the years
1901 through 2038 rather short-sighted.  I concede that the
Java representation could probably use a few less bits for
range (currently +/- 300 My) and a few more for precision
(currently ms): chopping down the range to 300 Ky and
representing microseconds wouldn't be so bad.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org
			e'osai ko sarji la lojban