Updated UK history of Summer Time

Joseph S. Myers jsm28 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 19:33:14 UTC 1998

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Paul Eggert wrote:

> If only we could have
> such definitive sources for our other tz entries.

This should be taken as a hint to people in other countries with access to
suitable libraries to write the legislative histories of summer time in
those countries (of course coordinating via this list to avoid
duplication) ....

> When referring to an original source we should say whatever the
> original source said.  For "summer time", the EU seems to say
> "summer-time" in this context, at least on their web sites.  I don't

The directives I have (First through Fifth) all use "summertime".

> know what the British Government says.  I'd guess "No." is common in
> the British legal system, so we should keep it.  I also presume that
> the EU says "UTC" and the British Government says "GMT", so I'll
> update the comments accordingly when I come up with a proposed patch.

The European directives (at least the First to Fifth) all use GMT when
stating the start time.  The legal time in the UK outside of summer time
is definitely GMT, not UTC; see Lord Tanlaw's speech at
<URL:http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199697/ldhansrd/
pdvn/lds97/text/70611-20.htm#70611-20_head0> (Lords Hansard 11 June 1997
columns 964 to 976).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28 at cam.ac.uk