symlinks

Ulrich Drepper drepper at ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Jan 31 19:46:04 UTC 1998

[I reposted this because it bounced.  Sorry if you get this twice.]

ado at elsie.nci.nih.gov (Arthur David Olson) writes:

> --- 601,619 ----
>   	if (!itsdir(toname))
>   		(void) remove(toname);
>   	if (link(fromname, toname) != 0) {
> + 		int	result;
> +
>   		if (mkdirs(toname) != 0)
>   			(void) exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
> ! 		result = link(fromname, toname);
> ! #if (HAVE_SYMLINK - 0)
> ! 		if (result != 0) {
> ! 			result = symlink(fromname, toname);
> ! 			if (result == 0)
> ! warning(_("hard link failed, symbolic link used"));
> ! 		}
> ! #endif
> ! 		if (result != 0) {
>   			const char *e = strerror(errno);
>
>   			(void) fprintf(stderr,

If you decide to emit a warning in the case an symlink is used there
should also be a possibility to prevent this.  It's not nice for
people who have a setup which is effected by this change to be
"punished" with a warning everytime though they already know this
happens.

So I suggest to use either an option to force using symlinks or an
option to make zic quiet.  I very much prefer the first.

Thanks,

-- Uli
---------------.      drepper at gnu.org  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper  \    ,-------------------'   \  76149 Karlsruhe/Germany