tz leap second bug encountered by sendmail 8.8.8 in Australia

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Sat May 23 02:03:20 UTC 1998

   Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 18:43:43 -0700
   From: Paul Eggert <eggert at twinsun.com>

       $ TZ=right/Australia/Adelaide sh -c 'date; date -u'
       Sat May 23 11:14:40 CST 1998
    *  Sat May 23 01:45:01 UTC 1998
       $ TZ=posix/Australia/Adelaide sh -c 'date; date -u'
       Sat May 23 11:15:01 CST 1998
       Sat May 23 01:45:01 UTC 1998

On further thought, I should point out that `date' gets the wrong
result by a slightly different method from `sendmail'.  `sendmail'
uses gmtime() and localtime(), whereas `date' uses only localtime()
but sets the TZ environment variable to "UTC0" before invoking
localtime().  The resulting symptoms are the same, but the mechanisms
are different.

So I'd guess that `date.c' will also need a bit of hacking in its own right.