a little help? (ok, maybe more than just a litte)

Antoine Leca Antoine.Leca at renault.fr
Mon May 25 10:58:57 UTC 1998

CHancuff wrote:

> UTC variation and begining and ending dates of DST (if observed) would be
> great.

I answered only the places I can comment on.

> BASSAS DA INDIA

This rock is below water half of the time!
If any inhabitants have been there, I do not think they observe DST
on a regular basis!  ;-)

> CLIPPERTON ISLAND

Clipperton is uninhabited since the 30's (at least regularly; some
missions have gone there, for one or two months, but I do not know
which time they observe; I think it will be the normal timezone -0700
for Frenchs, Mexico timezone for Mexicans and PST/PDT for Americans;
but these are just guesses).
I am still looking at further informations.

> EUROPA ISLAND

Europa Island is operating a meteo station, with sometimes
a garrison of some militaries. Since they are dependant from
Reunion, they certainly use(d) Reunion's timezone, +0400 all
year round.
No official informations.

> JUAN DE NOVA ISLAND

This small island is uninhabited (though it has been).
Same as for Europa, I figure that since the guys extracting
guano and the meteo/military people are coming from Reunion,
they should operate at +0400.
No official informations.

> TROMELIN ISLAND

Again, this small island is operating a (very important)
meteo station. People going there are coming from Reunion
or Mauritius, thus their clocks are at +0400 all year round.
No official informations.

> BRITISH INDIAN OCEAN TERRITORY

See the file asia (Indian/Chagos)

> FRENCH SOUTHERN AND ANARCTIC LANDS

See the file antartica (Indian/Kerguelen and
Antarctica/DumontDUrville).
I have no information (still investigating) about the
timezone when St Paul and Kerguelen were whale fishing
stations (back in the 20's).
Probably no DST, however!

> GUERNSEY
> JERSEY

And Sercq? and Alderney?  :-)
I figure this is the same as UK time (since the begin of
the century), but I have no official pointers.

> MONTENEGRO

Same time as Yugoslavia (since the adoption of legal time
over local mean time).  Montenegro is not a separate state
from Serbia (both form a federation, which is not
recognized by the USA).

> VATICAN CITY

Same time as Italy (Europe/Rome).

> WESTERN SAHARA