Proposal for new ISO C 9x time API

D. J. Bernstein djb at cr.yp.to
Tue Oct 6 21:03:51 UTC 1998

Markus Kuhn writes:
> First, I have just posted the 3-line code of how you can use
> xtime_conv() and xtime_diff in my API to determine the correct number of
> SI seconds between timestamps,

To make that work correctly, you need an up-to-date leap-second table.

> Secondly, in my API the user has a much better chance to find out about
> the lack of an up-to-date leap second table,

Programs that care about the table can see it with either API.

Programs that simply want the most accurate available clock information
can get it with my API. You force them to jump through an unnecessary
series of hoops to obtain extra information that they simply throw away.

---Dan
1000 recipients, 28.8 modem, 10 seconds. http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail/mini.html