Proposal for new ISO C 9x time API

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Wed Oct 7 22:37:39 UTC 1998

   Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 10:02:04 +0100
   From: Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk>

   If you have a TAI timestamp and what to print it as a TAI
   timestamp, then you just pass to strfxtime the TAI timestamp and
   specify NULL as the time zone.

First, this doesn't always work under the current struct xtime proposal.
E.g. strfxtime with a NULL time zone expands "%Z" to something like
"UTC", which isn't correct for TAI timestamps.

Second, even assuming the users avoids buggy formats like "%Z", the
resulting information is useless in practice.  Who wants broken-down
TAI times?  At bottom, TAI is an integer, not a Gregorian calendar
date-time indication.  It is much more useful to convert the TAI
timestamps to broken-down civil times.

Third, I agree that for TIME_LOCAL, strfxtime etc. return useful
information in most cases, but the buggy formats like %Z are still
buggy.  This should get fixed.

Fourth, for TIME_MONOTONIC, TIME_PROCESS, or TIME_THREAD, strfxtime
etc. return garbage, no matter how you slice it.

So more work is needed here; this area is too confusing and error-prone.

   I think this is a much nicer embedding of both UTC and TAI into the
   scheme of things than having to pass on to xtime_breakup(),
   xtime_make(), and strfxtime() a separate parameter that tells whether we
   are using a UTC or a TAI timestamp.

You don't need to pass a clock type to those functions to get things
to work correctly; all you need to do is pass a clock type to tz_prep.
tz_prep can store the clock type information somewhere in the
timezone_t value.

   >     Suppose an application constructs a leap second timestamp (i.e. a
   >     struct xtime value with 1000000000<=nsec<2000000000), and passes
   >     this timestamp to an xtime primitive that expects a TIME_UTC
   >     timestamp.

   I don't see why an application would want to construct a bogus leap
   second.  I see no reason to do this

One scenario is that the application is importing textual data that
ends in :60.  The textual data might well be bogus, and the
application should be able to check it.  This sort of thing is quite
common in portable applications that exchange timestamps.

   If the sec field is 59 mod 60, then there exists at least at least
   a way to display the leap second, and if the sec field is 83599 mod
   84600, then the leap second smells already genuine since it comes
   at the end of a UTC day. Both tests are trivial.

Yes, it's easy to detect _many_ bogus timestamps, but that's not
sufficient.  You need a way to detect _all_ bogus timestamps.  And if
the application doesn't have a full leap second table, then you need a
way to determine whether the timestamp is known to be bogus, known to
be valid, or neither.

   >     Then the behavior is undefined unless the timestamp is
   >     not bogus (i.e. it is within a true inserted leap second) _and_
   >     the timestamp is known (i.e. the implementation knows about the
   >     leap second).  (The current spec doesn't say all this explicitly,
   >     but it certainly implies it.)

   Just to make sure: We are only talking about xtime_conv and tz_jump
   here, right? The other functions do not care about bogus leap seconds
   as long as they come at the end of a minute (sec = 59 (mod 60)).

No, I'm talking about all the functions.

You write ``the other functions do not care'' because you have a
particular implementation in mind that allows bogus leap seconds
without checking them.  But it's unwise for the spec to _require_ such
implementations.  The spec should allow higher-quality implementations
that do not allow bogus leap seconds at all.  Such implementations
currently include the Olson code (in "right" mode) and Bernstein's
libtai.

   >     So the application
   >     needs a way to find out whether a purported leap second is a known
   >     leap second....

   My suggestion is to use xtime_cmp() in order to define a total
   order on all know leap seconds and the parameter timestamp, so as
   to locate the next higher/lower known leap second in a sorted list
   of leap seconds

Sorry, I don't understand this suggestion.  Are you proposing that the
program initially create a table of known leap seconds by iterating
through tz_jump?  This sounds awkward, and anyway it won't work
reliably in long-running programs, as new leap seconds may become
known to the implementation during execution.

   >     One way to fix this particular problem would be to change the spec
   >     so that every primitive reports an error when given an bogus or
   >     unknown leap second.

   No, this is not at all a good idea.

I tend to agree; I was proposing it as a possible fix, but suggested a
better fix later (the generalized TIME_TAI and modified TIME_UTC
discussed below).  However, regardless of whether the fix below is
adopted, I think the implementation should be allowed to report an
error when it detects a bogus or unknown leap second.

   Just use xtime_cmp() to compare timestamps, and build tz_jump completely
   on top of xtime_cmp.

Sorry, I don't follow this suggestion.

You can implement UTC tz_jump by iterating through all potential leap
seconds starting from 1972 and ending one year from now; you don't
need xtime_cmp.  Implementing local-time tz_jump is much harder; in
principle you need to iterate through every second (though in practice
8-day iterations suffice).

But I don't see why the implementer would build tz_jump that way,
unless he was layered above another level that didn't disclose its
leap seconds directly.  So I don't see where your suggestion is
headed.

   >     Suppose implementation X internally uses a clock with TAI seconds,
   >     but it doesn't know the TAI epoch;

   OK, I assume your "internal clock with TAI seconds" could be one
   that I could pass directly to the user via TIME_MONOTONIC,

Yes.

   and the epoch could for instance be a "few months ago" (say system
   installation time).

Only if the installation time is at a TAI second boundary, which is
unlikely.

   >     First, implementation X can't support struct xtime's TIME_TAI, as
   >     this requires knowledge of the TAI epoch.

   If we don't know the current TIME_UTC-TIME_TAI and also not the
   current TIME_MONOTONIC-TIME_TAI, then there is very little we can do
   to provide TAI at all to the user,

Yes you can!  You can provide a clock that ticks TAI seconds with an
unknown epoch.  You can also convert this clock to UTC, so long as the
requested times are within the window of known leap seconds.  All this
is useful information.

   >     This seems backwards to
   >     me; fundamentally, the implementation is based on TAI not UTC, and
   >     it should have some way to report this to the application.

   How can the implementation be based fundamentally on TAI but not know
   the TAI epoch?

Because it gets its timestamps from GPS?

   Please make sure you have fully understood the difference
   between TIME_MONOTONIC and TIME_TAI. Both are very similar in that they
   do not have leap seconds, and the only difference is that TIME_TAI has a
   known epoch, while TIME_MONOTONIC has not.

That's not the only difference!  There are two others:

(1) TIME_MONOTONIC is monotonically nondecreasing (hence its name),
whereas TIME_TAI can go backwards when the clock is reset.

(2) TIME_MONOTONIC's seconds may start right in the middle of a TAI
second with no problem, whereas TIME_TAI's seconds are supposed to be
synchronous with true TAI seconds (perhaps with some small error).

   I think you are thinking about a (quite reasonable) implementation,
   that runs its internal clocks on a TIME_MONOTONIC that had its
   epoch when someone inserted the batteries into the device and that
   was occationally frequency calibrated when UTC became available
   over a longer perioid of time.

No, I'm assuming something stronger than that for TIME_TAI.  I'm
assuming not only that it became frequency calibrated, but also that
it became ``phase-calibrated'' (sorry, I don't know the lingo, but
what I mean is that its second ticks should be very close to the true
TAI second ticks), and also that for a certain window around the
current time, the relationship between TIME_TAI and UTC is known.